Qualifications : LLB (Hons), BMS (Hons), University of Waikato.
Shelley is a specialist in Intellectual Property law and Education law, joining Tompkins Wake in 2018, becoming a Partner in 2020.
Shelley leads our IP practice and specialises in trade mark law, with expertise in multi-jurisdictional trade mark portfolio management and cross border IP strategies. She regularly advises on trade mark strategy, IP licensing and dispute matters (including trade mark opposition and revocation proceedings with the Intellectual Property Office of NZ, copyright and design disputes).
Named as a recommended lawyer in The Legal 500 for Intellectual Property in the Asia Pacific, Shelley’s immense value to clients lies in her drive to thoroughly appreciate and understand the client’s desired outcomes, empowering clients to align their IP strategies with their core business strategies and functions. Shelley has significant experience dealing with agribusinesses, particularly those involved in primary production. Her advice enables her clients to distinguish and protect their brands both nationally and internationally, in line with the international trend of ‘paddock to plate’ traceability.
Shelley also is a specialist in Education law, particularly in the tertiary sector. She has significant experience advising public sector organisations in administrative law matters. Shelley has had regular dealings with the Office of the Privacy Commissioner and Office of Ombudsman.
Shelley is also experienced working with not-for-profit, charitable and philanthropic organisations, charitable companies and incorporated societies. She helps them to establish effective legal structures and advises on governance issues.
Areas of expertise
- Charities and Incorporated Societies
- Commercialisation of Intellectual Property
- Fair Trading Act/Passing Off actions
- Licensing of Intellectual Property
- Trade Mark and Brand Strategy
- Trade Mark Prosecution and Dispute Resolution
- Administrative Law
- Trade Mark Watching Services
- Education Law
- Official Information Act
- Copyright Advice and Protection Strategies
- Intellectual Property Protection and Development
- Domain Name Registration
- Intellectual Property Disputes
- Privacy Law and Privacy Commission Investigations
- Design Registrations
- Human Rights Commission Matters
- Office of Ombudsman Investigations
- Intellectual Property Law
- Intellectual Property Identification/Audits
- Recommended Lawyer, Intellectual Property, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020 and 2021
- Member of the Institute of Directors of New Zealand
- Member of the Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand.
- Member of Proprietors Board of Waikato Diocesan School for Girls
- Member of the Sonning and Waikato Diocesan Old Girls’ Association Incorporated
Shelley has advised and acted for:
- A major New Zealand dairy manufacturer and exporter in respect of extensive trade mark protection across multiple jurisdictions, including IP strategy advice; trade mark filing (multiple jurisdictions), trade mark submissions (multi-jurisdictions); trade mark portfolio managing (renewals); trade mark protection (advice regarding potential prosecutions – international).
- A Chemical manufacturer and global retailer in relation to the negotiation and drafting of licence agreements and settlement agreement regarding use of house brands in France, Pacific Islands and Japan and trade mark protection in New Zealand for main brand.
- A SaaS Cloud Services business in relation to opposing a third party application to trade mark our clients brand in New Zealand.
- A scientific instrumentation manufacturer to secure trade mark protection for their house brand throughout New Zealand, Australia, Canada, EU, USA and India.