Qualifications : BA, LLB, University of Otago.
James is an experienced commercial/civil litigator skilled in alternative dispute resolution. James has built a strong reputation as an advocate appearing in the higher courts.
James joined Tompkins Wake in 2014 following a career as a senior lawyer with the Public Defense Service and Crown Prosecutor in Taranaki.
Areas of expertise
- Civil Litigation
- Criminal Defence
- Debt Recovery
- Health and Safety
- Regulatory Prosecution and Defence
- Commercial Disputes
- Securities Act/FMA claims
Experience and knowledge
- Worksafe NZ v Hamilton City Council – represented HCC in Worksafe prosecution involving death of Hamilton Zoo curator by Sumatran Tiger.
- Waikato Regional Council v Open Country Dairy Limited – represented Open Country Dairy Limited in resource management prosecution relating to breaches of the Resource Management Act.
- Successfully defended client in arbitration proceedings involving claims for breach of contract involving significant multimillion dollar property asset.
- Ian Johnson Pharmacy Limited v GlaxoSmithKline NZ Limited – successfully represented plaintiff against GSK in relation to breach of contract claim seeking damages in restitution in relation to recall of drug Marevan.
- Wells Instrument & Electrical v Shree Sai Holdings Limited – represented a successful appellant in opposing the granting of a liquor licence in an area close to a church and local school.
- Representing investor group clients in High Court proceedings involving multi-million dollar claims against a vendor and a real estate company for alleged breaches of the Securities Act and Fair Trading Act when purchasing of commercial property
- Assisting Hamilton City Council in judicial review proceedings involving Local Approved Products Policy regarding Psychoactive substances.
- Assisting Hamilton City Council in judicial review proceedings involving fluoride in water.
- Council Member of the Waikato/Bay of Plenty Branch of the New Zealand Law Society
- Courts Committee
- President North Hamilton Lions Club
- Northern United Football Club Committee