Qualifications LLB, LLM (Waikato), MPhil (International Environmental law), (Nottingham University).
Marianne is an environmental and resource management expert. She has over 10 years’ practice experience in resource management and environmental law, prior to which she held academic positions at the University of Wales, Swansea and the University of Wales, Aberystwyth where she specialised in environmental law and policy.
Marianne has represented local authorities across the central North Island on a number of plan review projects. She also provides strategic and consenting advice to both local authority and agri-business clients across New Zealand, including some of New Zealand's largest corporate farming enterprises. Marianne has a particular interest in freshwater management and coastal and oceans policy and law.
Areas of expertise
- Coastal and Oceans Policy
- Environmental Due Diligence
- Freshwater Management
- Official Information (LGOIMA)
- Plan Changes, Variations and Plan Reviews
- Resource Consents
- Rural Environmental Issues
- Urban Planning and Development
- Council Hearings
- Development Contributions
- Appeal Hearings
- Coastal Development
- RMA Compliance and Enforcement
- Wastewater Treatment and Discharge
- Member of the Association for Resource Management Practitioners
- Associate member of the New Zealand Society of Local Government Managers
- Recommended Lawyer, Projects and Resource Management (including Environment) in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019
- Presentation to Resource Management Law Association (RMLA) Conference 2013 – iwi participation in RMA processes.
- Member of panel at Resource Management Law Association (RMLA) Conference 2016.
- Presentations to New Zealand Society of Local Government Managers (SOLGM) meetings – 2016/2017 and 2018.
- Presentation to New Zealand Planning Institute 2017 – Freshwater issues.
- Presentation to Water NZ 2017 – relevance of regional plan change in context of stormwater management.
- Presentation of paper on rural issues/freshwater via webinar – Auckland District Law Society (ADLS) 2016.
- Presentation of paper for New Zealand Law Society (NZLS) Rural Law Conference 2017 – water quality and Waikato case study.
Plan Change 1 to the Waikato Regional Plan – “Healthy Rivers” Update
Submissions due on PPC1Submissions on proposed Plan Change 1 close on 8 March 2017 at 5pm. The submission process provides opportunity for those affe...
Southland Indoor Leisure Centre Charitable Trust v Invercargill City Council  NZSC 190In our Legal Brief of 17 May 2017 we provided a summary of...
Court of Appeal Decision in R J Davidson Family Trust
This was the much-anticipated Court of Appeal decision on an appeal from the High Court on the question of whether a consent authority can, or should,...