Qualifications : LLB, University of Canterbury.
Mark is an experienced advocate who has worked extensively in the employment, civil, health and safety, relationship property and commercial sectors.
Over the last 15 years Mark has focused on employment and health and safety law, and has developed deep expertise in those areas. With a special interest in employment law, Mark has acted for employer and employee clients in a wide range of situations. Mark’s extensive specialist knowledge is complemented by a pragmatic approach to litigation. He prides himself on listening to clients and working to achieve solutions that best meet their needs. Mark is a seasoned and effective advocate and can forcefully represent his clients in Court when this is required.
Areas of expertise
- Coronial Inquests
- Employment Disputes
- Employment Law
- Employment Relations
- Health and Safety
- Industrial Relations
- Investigations - Health and Safety
- NZ Sports Tribunal Proceedings
- Regulatory Enforcement
Experience and Knowledge
- Wally v Gallagher Group Limited – lead counsel in the Court of Appeal case on restraints of trade
- Clear v Waikato District Health Board - a high profile case on the obligations on an employer when a complaint of bullying has been made
- International Court of Arbitration, London – appeared as counsel for a New Zealand client on a commercial civil dispute
- Mark was guest speaker at the 2016 National Employment Law Conference presenting a paper on the practical aspects of running a case in the Employment Relations Authority.
- Former Director of the Chiefs Super Rugby Franchise
- Former Director Waikato Rugby Union
- Founding Trustee of Sport Waikato
- Past member of the Board of Trustees, Waikato Diocesan School
- Past Chairman of Partners, Tompkins Wake.