Theresa Le Bas
Qualifications : BA, LLB, LLM (Hons), University of Auckland.
Theresa is a partner at Tompkins Wake with more than 20 years’ experience in resource management and local government law in New Zealand and Australia. Theresa joined Tompkins Wake in 2011 and is a senior partner in the firm's Environmental and Resource Management and Local Government and Public Law practices.
With a background in top tier, national law firms in both New Zealand and Australia, Theresa has extensive experience in large scale infrastructure, mining, energy and industrial projects, performing legal due diligence for national and international acquisitions as well as managing contaminated site issues across New Zealand, Victoria and Western Australia. Theresa has guided several local authorities through significant plan changes, variations and plan reviews.
Noted in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018 as a Recommended Lawyer, Theresa has ‘excellent knowledge in the RMA and local government area, and good mediation skills; she is a good communicator who builds rapport with people easily and works extremely hard for her clients’.
Theresa is also a member of the Tompkins Wake Board of Partners.
Areas of expertise
- Bylaws and Policies
- Contamination Issues
- Environmental Due Diligence
- Environmental Impact Management
- Heritage Processes
- Infrastructure and Projects
- Mining and Resources
- Official Information (LGOIMA)
- Plan Changes, Variations and Plan Reviews
- Resource Consents
- Resource Management Act (RMA)
- Rural Planning and Development
- Urban Planning and Development
- Local Government Advisory
- Council Hearings
- Appeal Hearings
- Building Act Processes
- RMA Compliance and Enforcement
Experience and Knowledge
Theresa was lead counsel in obtaining all required planning and environmental approvals, and successfully concluding appeal proceedings, for the following cases:
- Tauranga’s Routes P, J, K, Takatimu Drive Extension and second harbour crossing.
- Rosedale Wastewater Treatment Plant expansion and ocean outfall.
- Waihi Mining and Newmont Waihi’s expansion of mining activities in Waihi.
- Orica Australia’s sale of its former explosives reserve to the former Auckland Regional Council to establish the Waitawa Regional Park.
- WALS’ landfill establishment in Serpentine, Western Australia.
- Hanson’s Red Hill Quarry expansion in Perth, Western Australia.
- Successful conclusion of the appeal processes on the Rotorua Lakes and Waipa District Plans.
- Asia Pacific Legal 500 Projects & Resource Management 2018 - Recommended Lawyer
- Board Member, Tompkins Wake Board of Partners
- Member of the Association for Resource Management Practitioners