Client Profile form
To fill in our online Client Profile form, please click here.
From 1 July we will be asking our clients for more information
New Anti-Money Laundering and Countering Financing of Terrorism Act 2009 (AML/CFT) legislation requires us to gather more information from our clients. Find out more about this here.
Client proof of ID requirements - Chinese / 可接受的身份识别和地址验证形式
Client proof of ID requirements - Japanese / 承認可能な身分証明書と住所確認
Client proof of ID requirements - Korean / 수락 가능한 신분증 및 주소 검증 양식
Terms of Engagement
Standard terms of engagement (“Terms”) which apply in respect of all work carried out by Tompkins Wake can be viewed and downloaded here: Terms of Engagement and Conditions of Business
Set out below is the information required by the Rules of Conduct and Client Care for Lawyers of the New Zealand Law Society (“Law Society”).
1. Professional Indemnity Insurance
We hold professional indemnity insurance that meets or exceeds the minimum standards specified by the Law Society. We will provide you with particulars of the minimum standards upon request.
2. Lawyers’ Fidelity Fund
The Law Society maintains the Lawyers’ Fidelity Fund for the purpose of providing clients of lawyers with protection against pecuniary loss arising from theft by lawyers. The maximum amount payable by the Fidelity Fund by way of compensation to an individual claimant is limited to $100,000. Except in certain circumstances specified in the Lawyers and Conveyances Act 2006, the Fidelity Fund does not cover a client for any loss relating to money that a lawyer is instructed to invest on behalf of the client.
We maintain a procedure for handling any complaints by clients, designed to ensure that a complaint is dealt with promptly and fairly.
If you have a complaint about our services or charges, you may refer your complaint to the person in our firm who has overall responsibility for your work.
If you do not wish to refer your complaint to that person, or you are not satisfied with that person’s response to your complaint, you may refer your complaint to the Chief Executive Officer of Tompkins Wake.
The Chief Executive Officer may be contacted as follows:
· by letter;
· by email at Jon.Calder@tompkinswake.co.nz
· by telephoning on 07 839 4771
The Law Society operates the Lawyers Complaints Service and you are able to make a complaint to that service. To do so, phone 0800 261 801 and you will be connected to the nearest Complaints Service Office, which can provide information and advice about making a complaint.
4. Client Care and Service
The Law Society client care and service information is set out below.
Whatever legal services your lawyer is providing, he or she must:
- Act competently, in a timely way, and in accordance with instructions received and arrangements made.
- Protect and promote your interests and act for you free from compromising influences or loyalties.
- Discuss with you your objectives and how they should best be achieved.
- Provide you with information about the work to be done, who will do it and the way the services will be provided.
- Charge you a fee that is fair and reasonable and let you know how and when you will be billed.
- Give you clear information and advice.
- Protect your privacy and ensure appropriate confidentiality.
- Treat you fairly, respectfully and without discrimination.
- Keep you informed about the work being done and advise you when it is completed.
- Let you know how to make a complaint and deal with any complaint promptly and fairly.
The obligations lawyers owe to clients are described in the Rules of Conduct and Client Care for Lawyers. Those obligations are subject to other overriding duties, including duties to the courts and to the justice system.
If you have any questions, please visit www.lawsociety.org.nz or call 0800 261 801.
5. Limitation of Liability
Our liability to you will be subject to any limitations or exclusions which we agree with you.