Qualifications : BCA, LLB (Hons), University of Wellington.
Kate joined Tompkins Wake in 2010 and is an experienced litigator. Kate specialises in general corporate and commercial dispute resolution with expertise in contractual, competition and consumer, companies and securities, intellectual property and property disputes. Kate is highly experienced in working across regulated industries such as dairy, energy and telecommunications and has appeared in the Supreme Court.
Kate is a member of the Tompkins Wake Working parents forum, helping her colleagues and the firm create better options for optimising whole life balance.
Areas of expertise
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Competition Law Disputes
- Consumer Law
- Dairy Industry
- Energy Sector - Oil, Gas, Electricity
- Patent and Copyright Litigation
- Commercial Disputes
- Intellectual Property
- Corporate Disputes
- Media Law
- Securities / Financial Markets Litigation
- Property Disputes
Experience and Knowledge:
- Successfully defending a claim by a franchisor against a franchisee under a detailed franchise agreement.
- Representing dairy industry participants in disputes with major industry co-operatives.
- Obtaining relief orders for various issuers under then-new provisions in the Securities Act, and being part of cases that determined how those provisions would be applied by the Courts.
- Appearing in the Supreme Court Vector Gas Ltd v Bay of Plenty Energy Limited (which became a significant authority on contractual interpretation).