Qualifications : BCA, LLB (Hons), University of Wellington.
Kate specialises in general corporate and commercial dispute resolution. She has represented clients in a broad range of commercial disputes, including contractual, competition and consumer, companies and securities, intellectual property and property disputes. Kate has considerable experience working across regulated industries such as dairy, energy and telecommunications.
Kate has appeared in the District Court, Family Court, High Court, and as junior counsel in the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court.
Kate is a member of the Tompkins Wake Working parents’ forum, helping her colleagues and the firm create better options for optimising whole life balance.
Areas of expertise
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Competition Law Disputes
- Competition Law
- Consumer Law
- Dairy Industry
- Energy Sector - Oil, Gas, Electricity
- Local Government Litigation
- Patent and Copyright Litigation
- Commercial Disputes
- Intellectual Property
- Corporate Disputes
- Media Law
- Securities / Financial Markets Litigation
- Property Disputes
Experience and Knowledge:
- Fonterra Co-op Ltd v The Grate Kiwi Cheese Company Ltd  NZCA 67 – Appeared as junior counsel in litigation by cheese processing companies against Fonterra in relation to the meaning of “independent processor” under the Dairy Industry Restructuring Act 2001, which was resolved in our clients’ favour in the Supreme Court.
- FMA v Hotchin & Ors  NZHC 2732- Appeared as junior counsel in pre-trial hearing concerning discovery, trial-phasing and the applicable limitation period under the Securities Act.
- Vector Gas Ltd v Bay of Plenty Energy Ltd  2 NZLR 444- appeared as junior counsel for Vector Gas Ltd, which was the successful party in the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court. The Supreme Court decision became an influential authority on contractual interpretation.
- WaikatoLink v Comvita New Zealand Ltd (2010) 12 TCLR 808- appeared as junior counsel in a dispute concerning a patent.