Qualifications : LLB, University of Otago.
Campbell has been practicing law since 2008, and joined Tompkins Wake in 2012; advising on all aspects of property law, with a specialist focus on agribusiness, trust structuring and local government property.
Campbell has particular expertise in the overseas investment regime, Crown minerals, and the emissions trading scheme, and assists domestic and international clients in these areas.
Campbell provides commercial and not-for-profit entities with structure, regulatory and governance advice, and works with Tompkins Wake's private clients, specialising in succession planning, asset protection and trusts.
Areas of expertise
- Member, New Zealand Law Society - Property Section
- Trustee, Stop the Bus Charitable Trust
Campbell routinely acts for local authorities and landowners on property and infrastructure matters, including public works acquisitions and disposals. Campbell assists mining clients with landowner access arrangements (including with the Crown), compliance with the Crown Minerals Act and other regulatory matters. With our private clients, Campbell regularly designs and implements trust structures and succession strategies for successful families across New Zealand.
- Advised a leading international technology company on its establishment of a ‘world first’ operations base in New Zealand, including obtaining overseas investment consent for that organisation.
- Advised Coeur Mining, Inc. on the acquisition Todd Corporation's joint venture interest in the Golden Cross gold mine, including obtaining overseas investment consent to the transaction.
- Advised ASX-listed Skydive The Beach Group (now Experience Co) on property and foreign investment aspects of its acquisition of Skydive Queenstown and Skydive Wanaka.
- Advised the Ata Rangi Pastoral group on its acquisition of a large forestry block for conversion to 5 dairy farms, including property, forestry and ETS aspects, and continues to advise on day to day matters, particularly where forestry and farming interests intersect.
- Led the property and trust aspects involved in implementing a complex relationship property settlement and subsequent group restructure.
- Assisted New Zealand Energy Corp. with its acquisition of the Waihapa Production Station and related property assets, including advising on its overseas investment application and large scale property due diligence.
The role of Councils in the 'foreign buyer ban'
Councils should ensure that a property’s “property category” is included in the searchable property information available on their websites.The Overse...