Qualifications : BA, LLB, TEP, University of Otago.
Peter is a property law specialist, with expertise in agribusiness and rural law. Peter has nearly 30 years’ experience practicing law across the agriculture and commercial sectors joining Tompkins Wake as partner in 2009.
Peter's experience includes acting on large and complex infrastructure, farming and commercial property transactions, developments and land acquisitions.
Peter is passionate about New Zealand agriculture and spends time ensuring he is up with the latest industry developments.
A significant part of Peter's practice also specialises in personal asset planning for Tompkins Wakes private clients. Peter is a qualified practitioner and member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, the worldwide professional association for those advising families across generations. Peter enjoys building long term relationships with clients, assisting them to develop, grow and manage their businesses and assets.
Areas of expertise
- Agribusiness Transactions
- Agribusiness - Structuring
- Commercial Property Transactions
- Large Scale Development
- Rural Property
- Succession Planning
- Trusts and Asset Protection
- Wills and Estate Planning
- Subdivisions and Development
- Asset Restructuring
Experience and Knowledge
- Staggered acquisitions of land from SOE for a significant strategic roading project valued in excess of $100m.
- Variation of power generators interests protecting geothermal resource.
- Major commercial subdivisions of significant value.
- Providing advice in respect of Central North Island electricity project valued in excess of $100m.
- Syndication of various farming interests.
- Rural leasing and profit a prendre work.
- Providing general property advice to one of New Zealand’s large private dairy farming groups and one of New Zealand’s largest Kiwifruit producers.
- Board of Partners, Tompkins Wake
- NZ Law Society Property Section – Treasurer
- NZ Law Society Rural Law Committee
- TEP, Society of Trust and Estate Planners