New Zealand’s forestry sector is a significant producer of both raw wood and refined wood products on the global stage and has been an attractive target for both domestic and international investors.
With a substantial number of New Zealand’s plantation forests reaching maturity, production volumes increasing, volatility in global markets and environmental considerations, activity in this sector at both transactional and operational levels is challenging. At the same time, central government has set ambitious tree planting targets and established schemes to encourage new forestry conversions and retirement of marginal farm land.
Our team has been involved in significant forestry transactions, and developments and our multidisciplinary approach draws on specialists from our commercial, property, environmental and banking and finance teams, ensuring our clients have the right advice, from an expert team tailored for their business needs, project or transaction.
Significant work that our team has been involved in includes:
- Advising Ata Rangi Pastoral Group on its acquisition of a large forestry block for conversion to 5 dairy farms, including property, forestry, and ETS aspects. We are Ata Rangi’s trusted advisor on day to day matters, particularly where forestry and farming interests intersect.
- Acted for a large forestry corporate on multiple transactions for the subdivision and disposal of forestry land for dairy conversion, including the preparation and retention of forestry rights and the preparation of bespoke easements and encumbrances dealing with all aspects of harvesting and emissions specific to forestry.
- Acted for Tenco, a major exporter of timber, in the sale and purchase of a number of forests.
Areas of expertise:
- Emissions Trading Scheme
- Environmental Due Diligence
- Environmental Impact Management
- Joint Ventures
- Maori Land
- Overseas Investment Office applications
- Resource Consents
- Resource Management Act (RMA)
- Acquisition and Sale
- Commercial and Venture Financing
- Crown Forest Licences
- Climate Change Response Act (CCRA)
- Access Agreements and Roading
- Carbon Leasing