Qualifications : LLB, GradDip (Mgt), University of Waikato.
Scott is a commercial law specialist and has been a Partner at Tompkins Wake since 2009. With expertise in property, banking and finance law and in the syndication and securitisation of investments relating to commercial property, Scott combines his legal expertise with a deep understanding of his clients business to provide high-level commercial advice. Scott uses his expertise to navigate complex regulatory environments delivering his clients practical and effective solutions to their often complex financial deals and transactions.
Scott has a thorough understanding of the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Financing of Terrorism Act and the Financial Markets Conduct Act and is able to efficiently help clients from SME’s to larger corporates, navigate the frameworks and establish strategies to meet their obligations and compliance requirements.
As a talented and accomplished musician, Scott also has a strong interest in Events and Venue related law, advising promotors and venue owners on commercial and contractual legal matters.
Areas of expertise
- Banking and Finance
- Commercial Law
- Commercial Property Transactions
- Corporate Structuring/Restructuring
- Event and Venue Hire Agreements
- Financial Markets Conduct Act
- Financial Sector Regulation (AML/CFT)
- Joint Ventures
- Limited Partnerships
- Property and Construction Finance
- Shareholder Agreements
- Earthquake - Commercial Property
Experience and knowledge
- Advising Oyster Property Group on the purchase of Orion Health developing the first prospectus for a proportionate ownership scheme in New Zealand following the repeal of a securities act exemption notice dealing with this type of law.
- Advising Oyster Property Group on the purchase of the Millennium Centre and provided Financial Markets Conduct Act advice. New Zealand’s largest property syndication.
- Acting for Oyster Property Group on the acquisition of the Cider development in Ponsonby, Auckland worth in excess of $90 million.
- Acting for 125 Victoria Street Proportionate Ownership Scheme in relation to issues arising from various earthquakes including advising on a public offer of participatory securities that provided funding to undertake earthquake strengthening work.
- Acting for Oyster Property Group in the creation of its direct property fund including all disclosure documentation and the trust deed governing the fund.
- Advised NDA Engineering Limited in relation to its repair and maintenance contracts for works undertaken in the Marlborough area following the 2013 Seddon earthquake.
- Acted for a major Local Government client in relation to earthquake strengthening issues in respect of a public venue.
- Advising Good George Brewing on all aspects related to establishing its brewery in Hamilton.
- Board Member, Tompkins Wake Board of Partners
- Member of the Law Society Standards Committee
- Trustee, Enrich+