Qualifications : LLB, GradDip (Mgt), University of Waikato.
Scott is a commercial lawyer with specialist expertise in commercial property construction and development, banking and finance law and in syndication and securitisation of investments relating to commercial property. Scott combines his legal expertise with a deep understanding of his clients’ business to provide high-level commercial advice. Scott uses his expertise to navigate complex regulatory environments delivering his clients practical and effective solutions to their often complex financial deals and transactions.
Scott has a thorough understanding of the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Financing of Terrorism Act and the Financial Markets Conduct Act.
As a talented and accomplished musician, Scott also has a strong interest in Events and Venue related law, advising promoters and venue owners on a wide range of commercial and contractual legal matters.
Scott is ranked in Asia Law leading lawyers as a notable practitioner in construction and real estate law for the Asia Law 2020 edition.
Areas of expertise
- Banking and Finance
- Commercial Law
- Commercial Property Transactions
- Construction Contracts
- Corporate Structuring/Restructuring
- Event and Venue Hire Agreements
- Financial Markets Conduct Act
- Financial Sector Regulation (AML/CFT)
- Joint Ventures
- Limited Partnerships
- Property and Construction Finance
- Shareholder Agreements
- Earthquake - Commercial Property
- Board Member, Tompkins Wake Board of Partners
- Member of the Law Society Standards Committee
- Executive Committee Member, New Zealand Water Ski Racing Association
- Trustee, Waikato Regional Property Trust
- Trustee, Enrich+
- Trustee, McKenzie + Trust
- Advising numerous investors on the purchase of commercial properties and the development of various forms of investment vehicle for the ownership of commercial property.
- Advising a bank on the financing arrangements for a hotel extension.
- Advising a subsidiary of Belgium Post on its leasing arrangements in New Zealand.
- Acting for a private hospital operator on all aspects of the acquisition, redevelopment and construction of a private hospital (in various stages).
- Acting for a developer in relation to all aspects of the acquisition, leasing, redevelopment and sale of the Genesis Building in central Hamilton.
- Acting for various commercial property owners and developers in relation to issues arising from various earthquakes (including advising on earthquake strengthening repairs and associated works).
- Acting for Oyster Property Group in the creation of its direct property fund including all disclosure documentation and the trust deed governing the fund.
- Acted for a Local Government client in relation to seismic issues in respect of a public venue.