Events & Venues
Sporting and other major events make a significant contribution to the New Zealand economy and are part of New Zealanders everyday lives and culture. The hosting and staging of a major event is a complex and multi-faceted exercise, requiring an experienced team who understand the events industry and regulatory framework.
Tompkins Wake's team are specialists across the full spectrum of legal issues and requirements raised by venue, sports, and event management. We advise commercial, local government, and not-for-profit entities on all aspects of structuring, licensing and hosting major events.
The promotion of major events attracts attention and exposure, heightening public awareness and visibility. Managing risk is essential to ensuring successful outcomes. Our team is experienced in working within regulatory compliance frameworks, ensuring our client's commercial objectives are met.
Our expertise includes governance, contracting, advertising/promotions, ticketing, artists, sponsorship/licensing, health and safety, joint ventures, sponsorship agreements, food and beverage, alcohol licencing, venue hire agreements, regulatory compliance, and disputes (including litigation). Our team work with venue owners and operators, event management specialists, promoters and artists, and sporting entities, balancing commercial requirements with the regulatory compliance framework to ensure our client's objectives are met.
As the official legal partner of the Chiefs Rugby Club, we advise one of New Zealand’s leading sporting Clubs on all aspects of their business, on and off the field ensuring they meet their organisational goals and objectives.
Tompkins Wake is an Associate Member of the Events and Venues Association of New Zealand. EVANZ is the peak body representing the venue industry in New Zealand with a membership of over 120 venues nationally, including theatres, event centres, outdoor stadia and convention centres.
Examples of our work:
- Venues (including FMG Stadium Waikato, Claudelands Event Centre, Seddon Park, Rotorua Energy Events Centre)
- Venue Hire Agreements
- Catering and Hospitality Agreements
- Corporate Lounge Licences
- Ticketing arrangements
- Naming Rights Agreements
- Experts in the Major Events Management Act 2007
- Advised 37 South Events Limited in relation to bringing the HSBC World Series Sevens to Hamilton
- Advised Hamilton City Council in relation to multiple events including;
- All Blacks Tests
- Disney on Ice
- Nitro Circus
- HSBC World Series Sevens
Areas of expertise:
- Advertising and Consumer Law
- Commercial Contracts
- Health and Safety
- Joint Ventures
- Liquor licensing
- Regulatory Compliance and Constraints
- Sale and Supply of Alcohol
- Intellectual Property protection and development
- Sports Law
- Major Events Management Act (2007)