Qualifications : LLB (Hons), BMS (Hons), University of Waikato.
Shelley is a Senior Associate with experience in Intellectual Property law.
Shelley specialises in trade mark law, with expertise in multi-jurisdictional trade mark portfolio management and cross border IP strategies. She regularly advises on trade mark strategy, IP licensing and dispute matters (including trade mark opposition and revocation proceedings with the Intellectual Property Office of NZ, copyright and design disputes). Shelley’s immense value to clients lies in her drive to thoroughly appreciate and understand the client’s desired outcomes, empowering clients to align their IP strategies with their core business strategies and functions. Shelley has significant experience dealing with agribusinesses, particularly those involved in primary production. Her advice enables her clients to distinguish and protect their brands both nationally and internationally, in line with the international trend of ‘paddock to plate’ traceability.
With significant experience advising public sector organisations, Shelley has had regular dealings with the Office of the Privacy Commissioner and Office of Ombudsman.
Shelley is also experienced working with not-for-profit, charitable and philanthropic organisations, companies and incorporated societies helping establish effective legal structures to enable the achievement of their objectives.
Areas of expertise
- Charities and Incorporated Societies
- Commercialisation of Intellectual Property
- Fair Trading Act/Passing Off actions
- Licensing of Intellectual Property
- Privacy Act
- Trade Mark and Brand Strategy
- Trade Mark Filing Programmes
- Trade Mark prosecution and dispute resolution
- Management of Trade Mark portfolios
- Trade Mark Watching Services
- Not for Profits
- Education Law
- Official Information Act
- Copyright advice and protection strategies
- Intellectual Property litigation
- Intellectual Property identification
- Intellectual Property protection and development
- Domain name registration
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Data Privacy Law
- Member of the Institute of Directors of New Zealand
- Member of the Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand.
- Member of Proprietors Board of Waikato Diocesan School for Girls
- Member of the Sonning and Waikato Diocesan Old Girls’ Association Incorporated
Shelley has advised and acted for:
- A major New Zealand dairy manufacturer and exporter in respect of extensive trade mark protection across multiple jurisdictions, including IP strategy advice; trade mark filing (multiple jurisdictions), trade mark submissions (multi-jurisdictions); trade mark portfolio managing (renewals); trade mark protection (advice regarding potential prosecutions – international).
- A Chemical manufacturer and global retailer in relation to the negotiation and drafting of licence agreements and settlement agreement regarding use of house brands in France, Pacific Islands and Japan and trade mark protection in New Zealand for main brand.
- A SaaS Cloud Services business in relation to opposing a third party application to trade mark our clients brand in New Zealand.
- A scientific instrumentation manufacturer to secure trade mark protection for their house brand throughout New Zealand, Australia, Canada, EU, USA and India.