Qualifications : BCom, LLB, University of Otago, G Cert App Fin, FINSIA.
Phil is an experienced corporate and commercial lawyer with more than 20 years’ experience. Phil provides strategic advice to clients within the corporate and commercial fields, specialising in mergers and acquisitions and complex corporate transactions. Phil has a deep understanding of agribusiness and the food sector representing some of New Zealand's largest exporters.
Phil joined Tompkins Wake as a partner in 2006 and is the Chair of Tompkins Wake's Board of Partners.
Phil has international experience working for Australian law firm Gilbert + Tobin, and with Fonterra where he participated in international dealings on a daily basis including the establishment of a $250m joint venture in China.
Areas of expertise
- Commercial Contracts
- Competition and Regulation
- Corporate Advisory
- Corporate Governance
- Dairy Industry
- Energy Sector - Oil, Gas, Electricity
- Joint Ventures
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Securities - Private Issues
- International Trade
Experience and Knowledge
- Phil acted for NZX-listed AFFCO on the $180 million takeover by Talley Group
- Phil and Mark Renner acted for WEL Networks on the $189 million buyout of Waikato Networks from Crown Fibre Holdings
- Phil acted for Maisey Group on the sale of Instrument Supplies to Riverside Private Equity (sum undisclosed)
- Phil acted for Prolife Foods on the acquisition of Haddrells (sum undisclosed)
- Phil acted for Open Country Cheese Company on the $104 million takeover by Dairy Trust
- Phil acted for Gallagher Group on the acquisition of Australian-based Country Electronics (sum undisclosed)
- Phil advised Alpine Energy, Counties Power and WEL Networks on the establishment of the Smartco smart meter joint venture
- Phil acted for WEL Networks on the sale of the Te Uku Wind Farm to Meridian Energy
- Phil acted for DEC International on the sale of Dairy Automation to Livestock Improvement Corporation (LIC) (sum undisclosed)
- Trustee of Sport Waikato
- Trustee MESH Sculpture Hamilton
- Chairman, Tompkins Wake Board of Partners