Qualifications : BCom, LLB, University of Otago, G Cert App Fin, FINSIA.
Phil is an experienced corporate and commercial lawyer with more than 20 years’ experience. Phil provides strategic advice to clients within the corporate and commercial fields, specialising in mergers and acquisitions and complex corporate transactions. With a deep understanding of agribusiness and the food sector Phil represents some of New Zealand's largest exporters.
Phil joined Tompkins Wake as a partner in 2006 and is the Chair of Tompkins Wake's Board of Partners.
Phil has international experience working for Australian law firm Gilbert + Tobin, and with Fonterra where he participated in international dealings on a daily basis including the establishment of a $250m joint venture in China.
Phil has been noted as a recommended lawyer in The Legal 500 for Asia Pacific.
Areas of expertise
- Commercial Contracts
- Competition and Regulation
- Corporate Advisory
- Corporate Governance
- Dairy Industry
- Energy Sector - Oil, Gas, Electricity
- Joint Ventures
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Securities - Private Issues
- International Trade
- Trustee of Sport Waikato
- Trustee MESH Sculpture Hamilton
- Chairman, Tompkins Wake Board of Partners
- Finalist for Consumer, Tech and Media Deal of the Year, New Zealand Law Awards 2017
- Finalist for Mid-Market Deal of the Year, New Zealand Law Awards 2018
- Recommended Lawyer, Corporate and M&A in The Legal 500 for Asia Pacific 2018 and 2019
Phil has acted for and advised:
- NZX-listed AFFCO on the $180 million takeover by Talley Group
- WEL Networks on the $189 million buyout of Waikato Networks from Crown Fibre Holdings with Mark Renner
- Maisey Group on the sale of Instrument Supplies to Riverside Private Equity (sum undisclosed)
- Prolife Foods on the acquisition of Haddrells (sum undisclosed)
- Open Country Cheese Company on the $104 million takeover by Dairy Trust
- Gallagher Group on the acquisition of Australian-based Country Electronics (sum undisclosed)
- Alpine Energy, Counties Power and WEL Networks on the establishment of the Smartco smart meter joint venture
- WEL Networks on the sale of the Te Uku Wind Farm to Meridian Energy
- DEC International on the sale of Dairy Automation to Livestock Improvement Corporation (LIC) (sum undisclosed)