Qualifications : LLB (1st class Hons), University of Waikato.
An experienced corporate and commercial lawyer, Mark has been practicing law since 1998 and joined Tompkins Wake in 2009. He brings almost 20 years’ experience practicing law, including six years with international firm Shearman and Sterling LLP in New York and Silicon Valley.
Mark became a partner at Tompkins Wake in 2012. Mark is highly experienced in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, projects and commercial contracts and all aspects of public and private debt and equity financing, including public securities offerings.
Mark is also a trusted advisor to our Local Government clients advising on their commercial matters including CCO's, rating and governance.
Areas of expertise
- Banking and Finance
- Commercial Contracts
- Commercialisation of Intellectual Property
- Commercial Law
- Construction Contracts
- Corporate Advisory
- Corporate Governance
- Joint Ventures
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Overseas Investment
- Private Equity
- Public and Private Offerings of Financial Products
- Venture Capital
- Local Government Advisory
- Local Government Rating and Revenue
- Financial Products / Security Issues
Experience and Knowledge
- Mark advised WEL Networks and negotiated key agreements on its joint venture with the Crown to build the communications fibre network in the Central North Island and the recent purchase of the Crown’s interest in the joint venture company, Ultrafast Fibre Limited.
- Mark advises Ultrafast Fibre Limited on its contracting and project agreements.
- Mark has acted for a number of significant participants in the Manuka honey market on mergers & acquisitions and equity investment.
- Mark has acted for Prolife Foods on a number of mergers & acquisitions transactions in the food & beverage sector and advised on key commercial contracts.
- Mark advised a joint venture on all aspects of the acquisition and financing of a forestry block for conversion to a large dairy farm.
- Act for NZX listed Allied Farmers Ltd on corporate restructuring and listed company matters.
- Mark has advised Hamilton City Council on a number of divestments and investments of its assets, including its stake in the Novotel and Ibis Hotels.
- Mark advised Waikato Regional Council on the contracting and tendering for all of its bus contracts.
- Mark advised WEL Networks on the refinancing of its bank arrangements, and advises a number of corporate clients on their banking facilities, including receivables financing.
- Mark advises a significant international company on its construction and equipment projects in New Zealand.
- Advised nine regional councils on a corporate IT joint venture.
- Mark advises Waikatolink, the commercialisation arm of the University of Waikato, and its portfolio companies on capital raising, restructuring, licensing and exits, and has advised AgResearch on its joint venture investments in the US.
- Acted for Milfos International Limited, on its sale to GEA, the German conglomerate.
- Acted for numerous companies and industries in the United States on IPOS, follow-on and secondary offerings, and stock exchange compliance.
- Committee member of the Waikato branch of the Institute of Directors
- Admitted to the New York Bar